members: Share a personalized version of this article from the members area
Decorating that first house can certainly be a daunting task. You’re still new to this part of your life, it’s a brand new place, and you haven’t had much experience figuring out the right ambiance.
Not to mention, buying a home often requires a sizable chunk of money upfront, which can hinder your ability to pony up for brand name furniture and decorations directly from retailers. That’s why we’re guessing you might need some help.
Have no fear. There are cheap and easy DIYs that let you add your own personal touch. I’ve listed some of the best of them below.
1. Have a cheap rug that just doesn’t do your floor justice? Use some fabric medium and acrylic paint to give it some style.
2. Want a cheap yet beautiful headboard? You can paint and frame a few doormats to create it.
3. Or you can piece some old hardwood together for a warmer headboard. The DIY has parts one, two and three.
4. If you feel the need to create a portal to your dream world, you can paint an old door for your headboard.
5. Take a wood plank crate and place some legging on it for a unique side table.
7. Frame a mirror in fabric to give it a warmer look.
8. Create a garland out of printable flowers to add a sense of liveliness to your wall.
9. Are your plants feeling drab about those boring pots? Cover them in rocks for some refreshing change.
10. This impressive ottoman is made from a utility bucket and some tough fabric.
11. You can also fashion a small cable spool into an ottoman. See how here.
13. If you don’t have any good wall art, try mounting an artsy shower curtain on a wooden frame.
14. These fancy shelves were made from wooden boxes and picture frames.
15. For a stylish magazine holder, glue some felt around some wooden dowel rods. These were connected with copper joints.
17. Copper makes for a beautiful table frame. This one uses a floor tile for a top.
18. Do you need a stylish and portable bar? You can easily make one from a TV stand and a suitcase.
19. This incredible stand was made from a few separate IKEA pieces and gold spray paint.
20. Mix rustic and modern looks with this rope shelving.
21. You can create a beautiful bench out of a piece of wood, a lovely blanket and some hairpin legs.
22. Give your plants a place to hang out with this hanging pot DIY.
23. Copper leafing looks amazing on a framed mirror. See how to make it here. Not comfortable with metallic leafing? Here’re a few tips.
24. Take those air plants to the next level by spray painting copper color onto a wooden or plastic dowel rod. See how here.
25. The marbling on this vase was created by floating nail polish on water. See this amazing process here.