Seeing houses online is the first step for most people, but at some point you just want to get out there and see one in real life. One of the easiest ways to dip your toe in the real estate pool is to check out open houses!
What’s most appealing to many buyers is that there’s not a ton of commitment. You can just pop on in, look around, get a feel for what’s on the market, and what you get for the dollar.
None of that is probably news to you…
But what might surprise you are some of the things that go through peoples’ minds when they do go to open houses! Let’s check out ten things that go through peoples’ minds at open houses:
1. This place looks smaller than in the pictures.
What the… Did the room shrink after they took the pictures???
2. Do I really need to put these booties on?
It’s harder to walk with them on than you think!
3. Man, I wish I could spend a few hours looking around here alone
It’s kind of hard to focus with all these other people milling about.
4. Hmmmmm… Is that the listing agent, or another buyer?
When in doubt, look for a name tag.
5. Ooooooh, this is a nice room. I could see myself hanging out in this room.
That window gets great light. A recliner would be absolutely perfect right here.
6. That light fixture is absolutely horrendous. It’s got to go!
How could anyone possibly think that looks good?
7. No. Just… No.
I’m not even sure what’s going on in this room, but that’s gonna be a no from me, dawg.
8. That other couple looks like they might be interested. They better not outbid me.
Crap, they look like they have money too.
9. Let’s do some rough mental math to figure out how much I’d need to invest into this place to make it perfect.
If I put down ten percent, does that leave me enough money to redo the kitchen and gut the master bathroom?
10. I like it. Now I just have to figure out if I LOVE it.
Is it love at first sight, or did I just drink too much coffee on the way over?
Whether you end up loving the home after the open house or not, it’s always a great idea to try to enjoy the experience itself. Just please don’t do these 6 things that all agents hope you’ll never do at their open house. :)