members: Share a personalized version of this article from the members area
Upcycling is the act of turning a product into something more useful, or better for the environment. It’s also a handy category of “life hacking” for your home. Ever wonder what to do with those random items you have laying around, or are accumulating, that normally just end up in a landfill? Here are some nifty ideas for turning your trash into treasure, your garbage into gratitude, your junk into jewels… I should stop there.
1. Ladders. They aren’t just for stories of elevation any more.
2. Turn those old chairs into combination shelves and hangers.
3. Some glass from the past for spectacular lighting.
4. You can use a plastic bottle and glue on some plastic spoon heads to create something that looks like a lit up prehistoric egg.
5. Create a bookshelf with musical flare.
6. Turn those random tools into wall hooks.
7. Those cardboard paper towel rolls make snazzy cable organizers.
8. If that bike is beyond your desire to ride again, you can immortalize it as a sink.
9. Make your fence into something a leprechaun would be proud of.
10. Turn your PC case into a mailbox. Make sure this is legal in your country, first.
11. Use hanging dividers to create a temporary room. The more colorful, the better.
12. Even a broken piano can make music in other ways.
13. Leftover light bulbs can be fashioned into oil lamps to continue their legacy.
14. Create a clock out of your former steed. No, not a horse.
15. Sometimes the proper lighting is instrumental for the mood.
16. How about a clean looking couch made from a bathtub?
17. A chair for brief sitting sessions.
18. Turning your TV into an aquarium is upcycling for health of mind. Learn how to do it here.
19. Put some thought into your light shades with used hats.
20. Just can’t let your ol’trusty tennis racket go? Well now you can make it a constant reminder of the person that it served so loyally.
21. Take cable reel tables to a whole new level, or three.
22. Use old wood pallets to create rustic beds.
23. Or go all out and make a car-bed. Granted, a collector may have a heart attack when they see what happened to an old classic like this.
If you liked this one, you’ll love this: