members: Share a personalized version of this article from the members area
If you want a cheap way to make sturdy, and classy improvements to your home, consider the meager cinder block. I know they look grey, and hard, and rough, and… grey. Still, the cinder block can be utilized to create some rather amazing and artistic DIY upgrades for your house and yard. Here are just a few examples of such genius at work.
1. There isn’t a season that you can’t create an amazing candle and ornament display.
2. Don’t want to pay for a charcoal grill? Here’s a smoking DIY for “kebabin it” over a $3.00 cinder block grill.
3. Fill the blocks with rocks, and you can create an easy firepit for roasting something larger than kebabs.
4. Need a wooden bench? Doesn’t get much easier than this.
5. Street planters made simple.
6. A firewood holder. That’s just brilliant.
7. Cinder blocks can double in gardens as protective borders, and planters for herbs.
8. Here’s a cheap and easy staircase fit for any uphill travel.
9. With a little mortar and tile, you can create a raised garden bed, a water trough, or a more elaborate firepit.
10. Cinder blocks are handy indoors too. Here’s a cheap and easy makeshift desk.
11. Even the entertainment center can use a little concrete TLC.
12. Add storage space (or tunnels for your housecat) under the bed. Just be sure to have a thick and comfy mattress.
13. For those who have more books than shelving.
14. Cinder block shelving is perfect for the apocalypse enthusiasts who just need that extra preserves and canned goods space.
15. Here’s a bird house that can weather any storm… or cat.
16. You can support nearly any heavy object with a cinder block foundation.
17. Are your pillows too colorful for cement grey? A little bright colored paint will fix that.
18. Here’s a method for a sweet customizable night stand.
19. Did you know cinder blocks come molded into more artistic forms? With a little searching, you can likely find a pattern to fit your artistic DIY.