So, you’re thinking about getting your real estate license, right? Well congratulations! With effort and hard work, you’ll be well on your way to doing head-first dives into a swimming pool filled with gold coins, Ducktales style.
But first, you have a business to build, teeth to cut, and a potty to learn to use just like the big boys and girls. There’s money to be made, but you will have to survive your first year if you ever want to see it.
That’s why I’ve put together 8 under-the-radar tips that will not only help you get through your first year, but they will serve you well through the rest of your real estate journey. Consider them a survivor’s guide to real estate.
1. Make the screensaver on your phone a photo of your family, or you might forget what they look like.
This business sometimes takes us away from home more than we like. Sometimes we miss important events. A family photo as your phone wallpaper will help ensure you don’t lose track of what your family looks like.
BONUS TIP: If you’re not overly fond of them, use a fake family picture and Photoshop yourself into it. Make sure to give everyone a name in the photo. It would be really weird if you didn’t.
2. Make sure your cell phone plan has unlimited texting.
You are going to be surprised how many times you end up texting the phrases “no news yet” and “I need a drink”.
3. If a marketer calls calls you and wants to sell you some sort of QR code advertising, laugh at them, then start repeating every word they say.
You will get more out of mocking them than you would with whatever QR code nonsense they are trying to sell you, because literally, no one still knows what to do with a QR code.
4. Invest in good deodorant.
I know this seems like a no-brainer, but this business is probably harder on the ole armpit than many.
BONUS TIP: Carry an extra deodorant in your car. Also, it never hurts to have a jacket or blazer on hand in case you armpits decide to melt through your shirt right before an appointment. Which they will.
5. You will have sleepless nights, and diarrhea, and not necessarily in that order.
If you’re doing it right, you’ll go through times in this business that stress you out. Times when you have a lot riding on your shoulders. And sometimes, when that happens, your body will turn on you. Just remember, as you’re laying there staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night, or waddling towards the porcelain throne AGAIN, remind yourself, “it’s worth it… it’s totally worth it…. it’s OH NO NOT AGAIN!”
6. Never pay for advertising that someone could draw a moustache on… or worse.
Slapping your photo on something that is easily defaceable will get you a reputation that you did not intend. You WILL end up looking like Tom Selleck…or worse. (Probably worse)
7. When at a house showing, always check the water to make sure it’s on… especially before telling your client’s kid that he can use the bathroom.
As if the kid’s dance while he holds himself wasn’t enough of a clue, the giant glob of mayonnaise on Little Timmy’s shirt should be a pretty good indicator that he’s going to destroy that bathroom. And he WILL destroy that bathroom.
BONUS TIP: If you find yourself in this situation, promptly call the listing agent as soon as your showing is over and tell them that it was like that when you got there. And whatever you do, don’t mention the word mayonnaise, they’ll know you’re lying.
8. Lastly, remember that no matter how much stress, or sweat, or whatever else comes your way in your first year, things will be ok.
Things will somehow work out. When a deal is crashing, just remember that the world isn’t. Put forth effort, be persistent, and don’t stop grinding.