Whether you’re prepping your home for sale, or plan on enjoying it for years to come, getting it into tip-top shape should be a high priority. A priority, mind you, that doesn’t have to break the bank. Here’s a list of 18 satisfying home upgrades that you can perform yourself with little to no specialized knowledge or experience.
1. Learn how to cheaply and easily make an ugly backsplash a thing of the past.
2. Tired of that ugly ceiling light cover? Want to focus the light on a smaller area? This DIY shows how to create a drum shade for your ceiling light.
3. Here’s how to make your laminate countertop look like expensive soft-stone.
4. For vanity updates, grey is the new black. Here’s a DIY to create your very own modern, concrete-style vanity.
5. If you would like a little more privacy without cutting the lighting down too much, try frosting your windows with cornstarch.
6. You can hang a curtain from the ceilings to create the illusion of a larger shower. Giving your rod a few coats using gold spray paint adds a nice touch too.
7. Upgrade those boring cabinets with this shaker style DIY.
8. You can also create that beadboard country-cabinet look with a simple wallpaper job.
9. Enhance your closet racks with elegant end-brackets. See how here.
10. Add an extra dimension of style to your flatscreen TV by framing it using various moldings and trim.
11. By half painting a wall, it will make the room seem quite a bit taller.
12. Use some inexpensive frames to upgrade any boring light switches.
13. Turn that plain jane cabinet into something amazing with some basic molding and a fresh paint job.
14. Make your rug nice and plush by using carpet underlayment.
15. See this DIY for the details on un-staining and restaining your wooden furniture.
16. Here’s a great example of how to upgrade your bathroom mirror with the appropriate trim.
17. Finally, make your bed that much harder to get out of in the morning by dressing it like hotels do.